Saturday 26 September 2009

District 9 - revised

We finally went to see District 9. By 'we' I mean my sister and I - the fellow contributor to this blog. Perhaps its worth mentioning that she wasn't keen to post something on this. She just didn't feel like it. After the movie, she was just too exhausted to do it. It wore her out. Too long...she thought. I agree. It was too long. It took too long for it to actually start get going.

I wonder about the intentions of the people that made this movie. There was so much 'making fun of' mostly black people I thought. Yeh, sure, they made fun of white people too, the main character being a prime example burrrrt...Lets just say I can understand why the Nigerian government banned the movie over there.

But generally speaking...I mean to have that alien be named 'Christopher' for instance...does that not remind you of the 'good old days' when the 'baas' would call his 'girl' 'Betty' even though her real name was Mogomotsi? Even that whole squatter camp scenario - I mean? Like white people are known to be residents in those parts.

The whole 'illegal aliens' thing - you know they aren't talking about any Americans or Europeans or Asians (think pre-BEE status) for that matter!

There were a lot of under tones I thought. Stuff that I suppose the regular viewer would have missed completely but I was left thinking - these people are generally making fun of me.

I suppose that is partly the reason my sister wasn't keen to review this movie...what do you say about it...what can you say? Was it funny? Was it good? It was ambiguous I thought. Maybe not even that. It was a movie about black people. The aliens were black people and whatever the writer wanted to say about black people was said...just disguised as alien derogation.

I suppose I too do not know what to say about it. Was it funny. Hm...lets think. T'was only funny when the joke was on Wikus. Which is hilarious itself because he turned out to be the hero, the savior of the aliens.

The ending is all too familiar.

5 comments:

db said...

The black and white thing was also bugging me, especially at the beginging...hell, it had me all hot and bothered and shit. As the movie went on, you could say I was one of those that brushed it off and started to get into the movie. I don't think it was as great as it was made out to be, but it was a good movie. I'm easy to please and I enjoyed the little humor, the exploding people and the general special effects kicked some ass. The development of Wikus' character was done nicely as well.

db

Brokensword said...

Actaully, 100%, I fealt that I was being made fun of.

But news, hot off the ewn buliton, wikus is playing mad dog murdock on the A team movie. How do you feel about that? - thought he was really good, although his charater was an easy sterio type also? But I suppose that was part of the point amongst many points of the movie?

So I think cool choice for murdock!

Heartwarmer said...

Yeh, I also liked how they developed the Wikus character. Nicely done. I thought the costumes or whatever those prawns were, were also very well done - they looked oh so real.

Also tried to ignore the blackness funnies...just so I could try an enjoy the movie. Hm.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by db. dont stray too far you hear. hehehehe.

BS - hehehe, BS....okay, brokensword, are you serious! THey are making a movie out of the A Team? Has hollywood run out ideas so badly that movies like District 9 are supposeed hits and the A Team is being remade? Eish eish eish. Me thinks we should go out to...what is it called again...plastic surgery city? plastic city? fake city? whatever it is, you and I BS, we need to rescue Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

i thought the movie was terrible...

i also didn't understand the point at all! like was it suppose to a rendition of apartheid, if so it's bullsh*! and perpetuates the way white people think of black people (2day in 2009)!

eventually it just ended up being a joke, like these people could not have been serious?!
the only refreshing thing about it was it was a different genre of movie from SA that's it!!

zodwakumalo said...

My sister said the same thing about the racist undertones. Overtones actually. I must watch it so I can also comment.