Friday 26 September 2008

The boldest story ever told

I want to know if Oliver Stone could do the blockbuster epic that is SA politics at the moment.

Imagine, against the back drop of the world economic meltdown, emerges a story of a misunderstood president (or however you see it) and the events of the past week. Certain incidents could be changed for dramatic effect, to take the story forward.

Instead of just one thread this could be a couple. The Weekender story of how they got the scoop and were the only Saturday paper to carry the story. They are patting themselves on the back very publicly and unashamedly for that. Which I suppose they should! Well done Karima!

The other story is a more personal one and aims to get Thabo better understood. There would be scenes of him as he is at home with the lovely Zanele, (do they have kids? maybe one of them could be gay because his dad did not hug him enough as a child so he looks for love in the arms of strange men, this is where artistic license would need to be exercised), him taking council from Moeletsi, his off the camera interactions with Miranda and so on and so on.

The next key story would be that of Kgalema and his rise.

On the periphery would be the likes of Julius the patsy, Trevor the tease, and Jacob the irresistible.

So one needs action and romance in there somewhere right?, I think therefore we could add the story of how Manto and Thabo met as young revolutionaries but Manto broke his heart and he has never been able to fully give it up ever since. Aloof? he does not want to get hurt again! (again, for dramatic effect, does not necessarily have to be true)

I'll get going on the script. I welcome suggestions for key roles.

2 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

whahahahahahhahahaha. brilliant I tell you, brilliant.

the bit about the weekender though, when I saw the spread, and heard that Peter Bruce had dedicated an editorial to them the day before, I thought to myself "WHO THE HELL CARES".
Isn't that the job of a journalist? As the reader, do I really want to read the Weekender patting itself on the back? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anywho, whatever, whatever I suppose.

Love your blockbuster though. Winnie's gotta be in there somewhere. I reckon she should be the one who kind of ochestrated the whole thing...you know Thabo outta power and all and all. Yeh, Winnie should be the brain behind all of this. Planting seeds in people's minds and whatknots.

Brokensword said...

OMG, how could I forget Winnie. She could definately have that Mafia Boss role pulling all the strings.