Wednesday 5 November 2008

CHANGE

So I was wrong. And boy am I happy I was wrong. I sat watching McCain this morning, delivering his speech. And he looked particularly disappointed. But I was impressed with him, and how he handled his defeat. Even when his supporters booed at the sound of Obama's name - which he mentioned a few times during his speech - there was some dignity in how he did it.

BUT THEN, later on that morning BARACK OBAMA waltzed on stage in Chicago and delivered his - and if it was not clear to you before, it became clear which of the two was most deserving to sit in that white house. There's something incredibly dreamy about his delivery of speeches. They kinda make you get all worked up, all excited, all energised - ready to take on the world. I felt tears building up in my eyes as I listened to him talk about a 106 year old black woman who had seen all that was possible in America. The change that DID take place...in the past years and again today as Obama became the first black president of the United States of America.

I went on to cry 'heeeee, heeeee' - you know the kind of cry I'm talking about? When your face gets all shriveled up and you make strange, 'choking-like' sounds. I was more proud to be a human being than anything else today.

You know, it is quite easy to take his whole 'change' slogan lightly. But if you really think about it, if you really internalise it and understand what it means - you couldn't have listened to his speech and not cried. I have had so little faith in humanity lately...actually for a long time. And for me it became oh so gloriously clear today that ANYTHING is possible if you just believe and you hope. Everything that I perceived to be wrong in the world suddenly became an opportunity for change. The things we can achieve as a people are endless. Who was it that said something like, 'together we stand, devided we fall'. Barack Obama reminded of that today.

1 comment:

Brokensword said...

Yes we can

When I eventually woke up that morning I woke to a brave new world and I was wondering, what does this mean for affirmative action.

When I woke up I caught the last few minutes of the speech and developed a lump on my throat. Especially when I spotted Jesse Jackson and miss Winfrey shedding their own tears.

Anywho, I have registered for our own voting but think it will be no where near the history we saw in action this week. We’ve had our own historic moments hey.