Saturday 7 July 2007

Is the romantic comedy dead?

Or is it in intensive care. Do you remember the way that they used to make them? Think, Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey, think, When Harry Met Sally, think Moonlight and Valentino, think Chasing Amy, As Good as it Gets. Annie Hall, even Pretty Woman and an Officer and a Gentleman? What (the f) have you seen recently that measures up?!

I rented Music and Lyrics the other day and I started thinking when last did I watch just a feel good romantic comedy. Not Sna/itch with Will Smith spreading non truths, or Jennifer Aniston looking puzzled. I am not talking about 101 ways to lose a guy or stupid David Duchovny trying to woo Mienne Driver who is dying of some other disease. Not Charlize Bloody Theron trying to get Keanu to get his freak on. What the f, has happened to just… ahhhh.

Anybody watch Fever Pitch/Perfect Match with the comically attractive Jimmy Fallon. Now that! Was one in a million! It was great but it is pity that one has to wait so long before you find that oh so funny! fantastic love story like Fever Pitch. One has to go through bloody, Music and Lyrics. Now that was (I thought) a good idea. When I saw the trailer I thought, hhhmmmm maybe that will do it for me.

Stay away from it. It is bad, it is so bad that I wonder about Drew and Hugh. Drew was excellent in Fever Pitch. Love Actually was actually quite good with Hugh and his weird dancing. You also have to give props to Four Weddings and a Funeral and Nottinghill.

But lately I have just been deprived of what could be. Romantic comedies is where I go to when I lose hope, when I think, argh, there is nobody there for me?! I go to the video store and rent somin', somin' and it is all right with the world. But the latest releases just do not measure up.

What is your ultimate romantic movie. What do you rent when you need to restore faith in Cupid? Let me know because I am running out of ideas, as always!

2 comments:

Radar said...

I know what you mean about the lack of good 'feel good' movies. Its all just commercial crap at the moment. Harry & Sally was so brilliantly scripted and had so much meat on the bones compared to the 'quick fix' movies we are subjected to these days. I also loved 'Under the Tuscan Sun', 'Saving Grace', 'Bye bye Love'...all pretty old, I know, but goodies just the same. Nobody seems to be writing good love stories anymore. Please keep us updated if you find any other good movies in this genre.
Thanks to your Blog, I have already ordered my copy of Driving Lessons and will now seek out Fever Pitch as well. Keep up the brilliant crits!

Brokensword said...

Exactly, the things that Diane Keaton is doing now are just embarrassing! Her and Jack Nicholson and Keanu in that movie? That was rock bottom. I hope they sober up and get funny again.

I think my all time fave if I had to choose, I think, would be, Educating Rita. Remember that one? I must have been in my teens when I first saw it but it is one of those movies that shaped the way I image love should should be.