Sunday 20 January 2008

Lion King

If you’ve seen the cartoon, you will love this. But this is just so much bigger than the cartoon. It is so much bigger than Disney and Elton John and Lebo M. This was one of the most incredible theatrical experiences of my life.

The opening act on its own almost got me balling, doing the ugly cry, but I fought with all my might and tried to experience the show through my glistening eye balls.
Now, it’s all about the costumes and the puppets. ( I am sure you’ve seen the documentaries on this). The music is there and it is great but I learnt the music word for word, even the script from the original Lion King sound track. I could sing along and know where all the punch lines are and all of that.

But to see that image of the cartoon translated in such an incredible way into a stage production was amazing.

The greatest t criticism that I get is that I have not travelled and therefore am lacking in my education. But when this kind of production comes to SA and it lives up, no surpasses (!), everything I ever imagined about a particular story, then I do not feel so disadvantaged. The mountain has come to Moses.

I think what made the show for me was the way that it penetrated the audience. As you are sitting there watching in the audience, you suddenly see these incredible spectacles coming down the rows, the elephant, oh, the elephant. The scale of this production is just unimaginable. The puppets! The hyenas, the simple grass!

There are a few things to note, adult simba is gay, and Sello does not make the best choice of Mufasa but it is not even about that. He blends in and contributes to a great South African show.

Even now, three weeks after seeing it, whenever I catch myself in the mirror I look and perform the lion mannerisms.

But why is it, even in SA, hakuna mathatha is still pronounced that way? Maybe they could have found a better catch phrase?

A big change they made with the characters was that for Timone. Nathan Lane did it one way. The SA version is different and I kind of like it. The witch doctor and Whoopi Goldberg’s hyena character are also different and it works. All in all, it is the best thing on stage in the country’s stage at the moment.

The production ends in February and if you can, go and see it. If it comes to Cape Town, I am definitely there!

Heartwarmer, did you go see it a second time?

No comments: