Friday 28 March 2008

Juno

I am the type of person that does not dislike uncomfortable silences, I do not try to fill these up with inane uttering just so that the uncomfortableness goes away. For me, the inane utterings make me feel even more uncomfortable so it is easier to deal with the discomfort of a silence, at least in that one has a 50:50 chance of coming out with some dignity.

This does not excuse my silence for the past few weeks, or months. The simple truth is that even with the cool movies I’ve see, I just did not have that overwhelming urge to put my take on it on paper for posterity.

But last week I watched Juno and I have to say something about this so that I can read this two years from now and remind myself why I liked it.

There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie, mainly because of the numerous Oscar nominations it received and being crowned the little miss sunshine of 2008.

The hype was deserved. It is a thoroughly enjoyable movie that makes no judgments (except maybe that teenage pregnancy happens and should not), and teaches nothing (except maybe that, in the midst of it all, wit will make the journey a little bit more bearable), and concludes touchingly with the thought that nothing happens as it is planned, but that does not mean that you go off the course and despair.

They called it the ‘little Miss Sunshine’ of 2008 and it is probably that, surprisingly uplifting on the first screening but after the second one you realise how far from reality it really is. And it should be far from reality, why the hell not, after all, we watch movies to escape and entertain other possibilities.

Jason Bateman is awesome, even when he is acting a borderline pedophile, Jennifer Gardner, still has that pained look about her which works for the character, the OZ/SVU guy as the father is also cool like that, the step mom, West Wing’s press woman has a nice scene in the doctor’s office. Juno, on the other hand, was mean little miss know-it-all who got stupid. I don’t think we would have been friends if I went to school with her. She is just plain mean!

Cool movie though.

Three spoons

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it sounds real cool. havn't watched much lately, but want to go see that 10 000.
Sorry i've been quite, will write more as soon as I get myself a laptop - whch will be very soon. Yay
heartwarmer

MK said...

i loved juno.it was a breath of fresh air. forget the storyline, juno herself just made that movie with her dark humour. "bren, you's a dick. i love it" lol!