Wednesday 27 April 2011

What are some of your best Woody Allen flicks



It’s been a while since i’ve thoroughly enjoyed a Woody Allen movie. I think this (while) started when he stopped playing his own characters and pawned them off to his actors. I particularly cringed at Kenneth Branagh portrayal of what should have been a Woody Allen character.

Yes, that’s it, I stopped enjoying Woody Allen characters when he removed himself from his scripts. He started writing his character (the neurotic-inappropriately-honest-and-insightful-nerdy-older guy) for other people like Kenneth Branagh in Celebrity and Larry David in Whatever Works. And then he completely started writing himself out of scripts and the only way to identify his movies is through the font of the opening titles and less so through the dialogue which he was so amazing at crafting.

I don’t think I have a favourite Woody Allen movie, it is not Annie Hall (that was before my time), and it’s not Match Point nor Deconstructing Harry, nor Mighty Aphrodite. I don’t have a favourite Woody Allen movie because all of them put together, all the conversations and twisted but true observations about relationships in his movies are just one movie really, with different players and plots.

1 comment:

db18 said...

I must say, I don't really watch woody Allen movies, but I did rather enjoy Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Now that you say they're somewhat similar, I kinda feel better about.