Sunday 14 October 2007

Taken

Did I ever post how much I love dvd nuoveau with its amazing collection of thousands of classic, foreign and rare to find dvd’s? Well I do.

This weekend was spent watching the last three discs, about 9 hours, of Taken. Background: So Steven Spielberg gathered a few directors to direct this incredible mini series about alien abductions. It is not a documentary, although I am inclined to believe. It is a fictional interpretation of the Roswell phenomenon, it gives a fascinating story line that travels through four generations of people that were touched by the alien landing.

I suppose the first thing that grabbed me about the series was the fact that Stephen Spielberg produced it. I do not know how much creative control he had in making it but I could recognise some of his signatures. If you ever watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind you will know what I am talking about.

More than just the bizarre story line and special effects, the series grabs you, kinda like following the Thorn Birds only this time there is an extra alien element.

More than just about alien encounters, you get to know the characters and feel for them, you have an emotional connection that when the story carries on without them you miss them, but you also get to know and enjoy the new characters that have taken their place.

After one of the episodes I caught myself clapping and cheering and going woohoo! Okay, I do that sometimes like when I watching the Oscars or Heroes (when the hell is Heroes coming on dvd? I ache after each episode ends because I have to wait 7 days for the next installment). Taken is for all you X-Files junkies (myself included) out there, broken when it ended, broken when they last watched the final episode of Star Trek. There is hope there is Taken, and it will transport you to the Outer bloody Limits.

It is an amazing series and whilst watching the last episode, I could not help but remember the heartbreaking finale of Six Feet Under when Claire started driving away and the lives of those she left behind are concluded in a poignant, appropriate way, like there was no other direction their life’s journey could have possibly taken.

Watch this one with the ones you love.

Five spoons.

3 comments:

lebogang nkoane said...

Heroes, DVD, I saw at musica/cdwherehouse in Rosebank. I was amazed that it's avaiable, plus I think it's reasably priced, 200 bucks.

Thougth you'd want to know.

Alas, I loved Taken, in fact that's the first time I saw Dakota Fanning act, and I think, she is mad talented,,, and Spielberg is fantastic, he has the ability to do work on projects that are not ment for 'Blockbuster' and deliver some serious dope cinematography. I remember I was shocked that he produced Pinky and The Brain (he also produced Freakazoid), but what I truly loved of his work, was when he did, Invasion America (it aired once on mnet, and never seen again, it was nimated).

I love Taken, but then again I'm a Sci-Fi fanatic.

lebogang nkoane said...

nimated = animated.

Brokensword said...

OMG. Will check put cd warehouse here at the waterfront in cape town should have if rosebank one has it?!
Will look out for invasion america. I am sure my super great video store has it. :)