Wednesday 30 April 2008

Not the movie of the week

So, yes, after 33 years of living my life within the confines of this our republic, I have now ventured onto the outside world, and my first extra continental destination is Bali, in Indonesia and this is how it went. Mind you, I do not think this post could ever be translated into a movie script. Nothing much happens. Although, they did make a movie out of sitting in the airport - reference Tom Hanks, The Terminal, and, and, the one where he talks to the soccer ball??? Thinner plots have been made into a movie I suppose. Just need Whoopi Goldberg to play me, oh wait, they already did ‘How Stella Got her Groove Back’.

To get on with my story, I am about four days into my holiday and thus far, it has been an interesting adventure.

Day 1

Fly from Cape Town to Johannesburg, then to Doha where I have a 17 hour layover. You would think that I could get out of the airport and see a little bit of Doha in these 17 hours. Sadly no.

The thing I want to share the most about Doha is the state of their airport toilets. People keep telling us that we live in the most brilliant country in the world, this fact can just be tested by the state of our airport toilets. Ours are brilliant compared to elsewhere. And in this particular elsewhere you get these ladies that are in the toilet that are suppose to be making sure that all is well in the toilet. That there are not any unmentionables lurking around in the OPEN bin in the toilet stall and no discarded tissue papers on the floor and the counters and no water, water everywhere! No they are too consumed with other things, I can not image what.

Qatar airways gave good service but as soon as I landed they started speaking a different language. The least people could do was to point, point me in the right direction, show me what I need to do and where I need to go. Lord!

17 hours later, after as few trips to the toilet as possible, we eventually leave for Kuala Lumpur, spend an hour on the plane and then finally, after over 48 hours, stinking to high heaven, we finally arrive in Bali.

Oh, Bali. Having never left home before I was a little bit amazed and awed and dumb struck. The plane lands right next to the beach. You keep thinking as you are making your landing approach that you are going to land on the water, but just in the nick of time, land comes up and you touch down on solid ground. Most amazing thing.

The airport is tiny. I thought Cape Town Airport was child’s play but this one… The thing you are greeted by as you step outside the plane is the heat. Very still, very hot, very wet heat!!! Because it was dark, I did not realize I was outside the airport because there was just no difference between the inside and the outside.

The first thing I learnt is that one should not bargain on a price if you do not intend buying the thing you are bargaining for. After I realized I did not have enough Rupiah to buy the two Zippos that I had negotiated for 100 000 Rupiahs, I was in trouble. I had to empty out my purse and give up all the money I had in it. My worthless SA 5 cent coins and all. You cannot re-bargain the price or take anything back. This was the moment that I felt most vulnerable in Bali and it was not so bad.

This story could be continued…

No comments: