Sunday 17 June 2007

Dreamgirls

Jennifer Jennifer, Jennifer Hudson, the Oscar was so yours.

I obviously don’t know what the judges look for when they choose one person over another. For me, for what Jennifer made me feel watching her, the way she pulled me in, for her passion and her beauty, her fucking incredible voice, for all this and more she got the Oscar!!!

Usually we are pulled in by the story, but this story has been told so many times before, we are pulled in by CG screens, funny and intelligent scripts, this one was simple enough, we tend to be pulled in by beautiful people and incredible stunts.

Dreamgilrs had very little of the above, its saving grace Jennifer Hudson carried this movie on her back. I have never heard of this woman before today. What an utterly stunning performance. I cried.

Let’s go back to who she was up against,
Adriana Barraza in “Babel”
Cate Blanchett in “Notes on a Scandal”
Abigail Breslin in “Little Miss Sunshine”
Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls”
Rinko Kikuchi in “Babel”

Although the above were interesting performances, none of them won me over, I could not sympathize with Cate Blanchet, it was a difficult part, being a pedophile and all, the Babel characters were just weird; and as gorgeous and cute as that girl is in little miss sunshine, all they had to do was fatten her up and put nerdy glasses on her., my nine year old niece could have done just as good a job!

The thing about Jennifer, is that although you have the orchestra or the band supporting her incredible voice, the drums and the base guitar and the piano, and the camera work, she rose above all of these and sang her heart out and made us believe. Beyonce can sing but you can not get over the fact that she is as interesting as cardboard really. Jennifer, oh Jennifer.

Okay, I have thought about it a little bit more, about why I like her so much when she sang, her performance felt familiar to me! And one day, others will recognize!

3 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

haven't seen it. I didn't believe the hype - but I believe you...this weekend then - it's on.

Heartwarmer said...

Ohhhhhh myyyyyyy ghaaaaaaard. She was absolutely amazing. They didn't have much of a movie without her. She was the movie. I loved it. I love her. Jennifer Hudson. Brilliant.

Brokensword said...

The I am telling you song. That's when I cried. I got the sound track and realized that was the only song I can listen to over and over again. Should have tested it first. But ya, Jennifer rocks!