Monday 6 April 2009

A vampire for all seasons…


My season, my vampire, was Louis, never a part of, but always observing and envious of the world that he could never be a part of again. Interview with a Vampire, envisaged by Anna Rice, also through a few of the other tales aptly known as the vampire chronicles. And… much respect to the woman for disagreeing with the choice for Tom Cruise to play the Vampire Lestat! The role needed a much more believable omnisexual, maybe Ralph Fiennes? Maybe Daniel day Louise. Surely any of these guys would have been a little more open to some 'bromance'?

But there is a new version that is emerging, going after the feeling of teenage angst and not belonging. A little bit dangerous for the time that we are living in…

So yes, tonight, I watched Twilight and mourned my Louis and Lestat and Armand who were my ultimate dark lords and who seem to be now replaced by younger, more heterosexuals immortals that to replicate their humanity as much as possible. The guys can even come out in broad day light!?

But let’s take a step back. Yes I watched Twilight and yes it was not immediately repulsive.

The step back is to the beginning of moving pictures. When Vampires, at least in our 2009 standard were repulsive and totally unattractive! Nosforatu, who gave us that iconoclastic image of what it should be to be a vampire, unattractive, animal and totally dejected for what it is to be human.

My next memory would be Bela Lugosi who I came to know through a little film called Gods and Monsters. Those images are not real for us anymore except maybe for those film appreciation classes that you one has to through in film school.

Gary Oldman, as Dracula, DRA-CU-LA! Scary shit! But also very interesting cinematic event. This particular vamp movie will always have a special place in my movie subconscious! As scary as it was it remains one of the ultimate vampire movies because it over rides my personal proclivity to the sexual ambiguity, because that, in itself will pass and be replaced by a far sexier combination of the species.

I jump now to the Wes Craven’s and the Quinton Tarantino’s From Dusk till Dawn. Hilarious and horrible at the same time. Tarantino is a genius but his take on the old Vampire, the undead genre, was not that fulfilling for me. It made me laugh but not much else. I have to admit that I’ve not had the chance yet to go through the Wes Craven ones.

And then there was I am Legend. The supposed to be, ‘Thinking man’s’ ultimate vampire movie. But the thing for me is, yes, you can fathom ways that the undead can be digitally made to be scarier? But I somehow think that jump has been coming for a while and so I will not jump if I get surprised, I will know that it is coming.

Interview with the Vampire, Daniel as Lestat (but if tm cruise is reading this, he di not do a bad job) is what I am waiting for...

On Twilight… yeah okay, next…. Three spoons.

1 comment:

Heartwarmer said...

I can't believe you went to see Twilight...AND....YOU LIKED IT?