Friday 4 December 2009

2010 World Cup best ad


(oops, will the fifi -Fédération Internationale de Football Imbeciles) police come after me for using the numbers 2010, the words ‘soccer’, ‘cup’ and ‘world’? Screw you fifi I’m using the words!).

First off, I have the soccer fever. I believe against all odds that Bafana banafa are setting expections low so that their victories can be that much more sweet. I believe!

I think for me the FNB advert, with the praise singer is the one that always threatens to detonate the lump in my throat! It is beautifully made and riles my emotions up to an almost wailing crescendo. It is South African, it is over the top, it represents me, you and the guy sitting on his stoop smoking a pipe 100 years ago. It is all these mooshed into one identity with many take aways.

Second place, comes the Telkom ad. Can’t find a graphic for this but it’s the one where typical Telkom staff parade around a city centre in a topless bus, waving at the admiring masses (who loathe them!). Corny? Yes. Spitting on current client’s expectations? Don’t know, never had a Telkom line. Delivers the message of by any means necessary we will get you the coverage? Most definitely!

Coca Cola will always be coca cola, am expecting them to bring back that other ‘we are the world’ type ad . You remember the one they did a few decades ago? They are always spot on but I will not go back to drinking their potent java devil juice, but wholly appreciate their game.

What are some of the ones that stand out for you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.