Tuesday 22 December 2009

Invictus

Been meaning to post something on this. Went to see it over at Maponya Mall last week. It was quite a treat. Morgan Freeman made a special appearance and took questions from journalists. Couldn't really here all that well the Q & As as I was sitting right at the back of the little wannabe VIP area that had been created.
Not only was Morgan Freeman there, but so was Chester Williams, whose character is featured in the movie.
And Winnie Madikizela Mandela, her daughter Zinzi, Justice and Constitutional Development Minister - Jeff Radebe and his businesswoman wife - Bridgette, were all there as well.
So about the movie...it was okay.
I think I appreciated that Freeman's depiction of Mandela wasn't all that bad so you actually got to follow the movie and weren't too concerned with how well he could pull a Madiba accent. That was nice. I could say the same about Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar.

Its a story of how Mandela used rugby to kind of unite the nation. I thought it was a nice idea for a story, but...just wasn't all that gripping really. There were some interesting bits of information that they included that I had no clue about - so it gave some insight into our history. But otherwise...at least the other half of the movie was just too rugby for someone who isn't all that interested in it.
That said, I thought they could have used James Small more in the movie. My memory, and it may not be all that good, tells me that James Small was like our answer to Jonah Lomu. Our opponent for him really and he did stop him in his tracks didn't he? I didn't think they used that bit of the World Cup win very well. I think they down played James Small too much.

What else? Thought it odd that they used Zinzi the way they did. It didn't seem to fit well with the rest of the script. And then they threw in a single ...okay maybe two scenes of Winnie happily in love with Mandela.
I suppose they had to use his family in the movie, it couldn't be just about Madiba and rugby...in which case they should have done a better job and had more family moments to make it more realistic.

Anyway...I wouldn't watch this movie again even if I got paid to. I'm not sorry I watched it though.

3 comments:

Brokensword said...

So then even an international director, the maker of Million Dollar Baby and Bridges of Madison County could not get you interested in the South African story? Jokes. A lot of people are enjoying this movie though, a lot of them I suppose are rugby fans. I will wait to catch it on dvd.

On Seffrican note, how did you feel about the whole ruckus over Jennifer Hudson being Winnie Mandela in an upcoming flick? It got so heated, was listening to 702 one night and this woman was really really upset about it. Do we have the talent in this country? Maybe. But one person said something I agree with, our talent is just over exposed, i would not pay to see the dude that advertises omo or Clientele life in a movie, it's that simple.

Heartwarmer said...

I know, I feel like there's something wrong with me for not loving it. I think even Barry Rongue went on about it. Ah well. Whatever, whatever.

I really don't mind so much that Jennifer is going to play Winnie. I actually thought it was a good choice. Was trying to think who would do a good job of it locally and drew a blank. In Invictus they useed that dreadlogged woman from...The Lab, the CEO...I don't think she did well at all. I just do'nt think South African actors/tresses have the pizaz (f7) to do larger than life characters like Winnie. But I'm sure there's some raw talent somewhere that could do a good job. So its likee you said I guess, our actors are just over exposed. They'd need to find an unknown to wow us all.

Anyway, I'm dying to see that BBC documentary/made for tv movie on Winnie. Apparently they have scenes with Winnie and Nelson doing the nasty, and then again Winnie and a younger male she supposeedly had an affair with too. I just can't imagine that. I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable with them putting bits like that of her life in a movie. Is it really all that relevant? I just don't want to be watching Winnie doing stuff like that. But who knows...maybe they do well in showing us bits of her that we have no clue about.

Brokensword said...

So you know I watched this with our father yesterday neh. And all I have to say is that I could watch it again because you made me miss the 747 fly over scene, and other crucial moments. So yes, I was gripped. But agree on all else.

Most interesting quote from the movie, 'soccer is a gentleman's sport played by hooligans, Rugby is a hooligans game played by...'

Another most interesting thing is that it seems we are just as divided on sport as we were in 1995, with or without the world cup and rugby being played at Orlando stadium. We are merging but it seems 10 people per decade.