Monday 3 January 2011

I love my country

I am this person. I am the kind of person that would go to the greatest places in the world and still long for the familiar surroundings that I call home, that I call South Africa. The familiar and friendly faces of the people of the south. I will romanticise of what a great country I live in and how unthreatening and welcoming we are to visitors and how other places around the world fail miserably at this. I am that person. I am a melancholic traveler. I am not proud of this and will try to change it.

First day in Egypt, in Cairo and I am amazed at how filthy this place is. I am shocked that the Sheraton would put their name to the Hotel I am staying at. I am horrified at the aggression of the people here and I can not wait to move out of Cairo and into hopefully more serene setting of Egypt.

Do not get me wrong, the Egypt and the Pyramids are awe-inspiring and beautiful and rich with history, probably the richest place on earth in terms of History? But one cannot help but be discouraged by some of the history, like that of the pyramids, these were built for vanity and ego's sake and not the greatness of someone else or to commemorate greatness but to make sure that I as a king am buried in a tomb that is bigger and better than the previous one.

Pictures (and a more thoughtful post hopefully) to follow tomorrow…

4 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

REALLY? Oh no Brokensword...your post is so sad bru...totally just...a pity. After you left yesterday I went in search of the seven wonders of the world. Wanted to cram them and will my travels to them. There are different version of the wonders...natural vs man made. The pyramids are the man made version of the wonders...your post about the motivation behind it - the reason it was built...just takes the wonder out of it.
Anyway...can't wait to hear more about your first day. What do you mean about the aggressive people...what did they do to you? And the filth at the Sheraton? OMG...are there roaches there? Must say though, I never quite understood what the big deal was about the Sheraton...atleast the one in New York anyway...we have so much better in SA. We need to have a post on just hotels sometime soon. I remember the room we stayed at in Manhattan had a view of a facebrick! Argh. Where to from here? Is it the Nile next...do post again soon

Brokensword said...

The filth was not at the Sheraton, it was Cairo itself. I think i was at a fong kong Sheraton, but the rest of the group seemed to enjoy it.

Gerhard said...

Look past the filth and the Muslim things, religion is odd but gives people comfort - and they seem to need that! The people are poor and the politics is strange, to say the least. At least our Pres has a smile...

Gerhard

Brokensword said...

Hey G. Just got back this morning and I think Egypt was incredible! it was an amazing trip. Now I just need to go back to do the red sea properly! I also would like to go back once the museum is finished.