Sunday 12 August 2007

Smokin’ Aces

Watched this one three times in one go. Watched twice normally and once with director and editor’s commentary. I suppose comparing movies to other movies is the lowest form of deciding whether you like a movie or not. And I do that quite often. Before spoiling this by comparing it to some other great movie I will tell you what I thought.

First, the cast. This dude that use to do that inane sitcom, Two Guys a Girl and a pizza place, and went on to do some other movies that I have not and do not care to watch, was just surprisingly brilliant. It is true that comedians also have a great understanding and capacity to do drama (Robin Williams is a case in point). Anyway, this dude whose name, I think is Ryan somebody, plays an FBI agent opposite Ray Liotta (his laugh freaks me out) who are going after a Vegas type performer (Jeremy Piven) who is in the process of becoming a state witness against a big mob boss. There is a contract out on his life and a few contract killers are dispatched (including Alicia Keys if you can believe that!). There is a bail bonds man whose also been dispatched to find him and a few other very interesting characters are thrown to keep the whole thing interesting.

I have to mention Jason Bateman. I do not remember what 80’s sitcom he was on but his recent resurgence is just wonderful. He has a small part (characters in this movie) but he is just hilarious.

The soundtrack was also something to write home about. The last scene of the movie plays to that song, I do not know what it’s called or who composed it or which original movie it was made for but do you remember the trailers to Lord of the Rings (I think it was the Return of the King or all three) and the song that went with that. Epic! Epic! Epic! If somebody know and can tell me please please please do. It is difficult to describe a piece of music, especially if you do not have the vocabulary but I’ll try. There were violins, and it goes somin like, do do do do doo, do do do do doo, do do do do do do do do do doo. No? Oh well I tried. Anyway, the last scene plays to that and it just elevates that scene to a whole ‘nother level. Amazing.

The whole sequence of the movie is just clever and interesting, I had to watch it three times to actually understand. And I wanted to understand. On the third try you kind of figure out that this is not the greatest movie ever made just very clever film making. Things like the transitions from one scene to another (very purposeful), the restraint of the big name actors (one gets tired of seeing Andy Garcia in every second movie that comes out) to allow others to shine, and the comic bloodiness of it all make this a fun escape.

I’ve now decided on not mentioning other movies that it reminded me of. I will leave that to the comments.

This is a good movie, actually worth owning as part of a dvd collection in case you can’t watch it three times at one go. The bonus features, on their own, will take another hour to watch.

Three and half spoons.

1 comment:

Heartwarmer said...

This sounds familiar. I donno, I just reckon once you've seen one mob movie you've seen them all.
But I'll see this one, just cause you say it's good.