Friday 10 August 2007

Without Anthony Hopkins there is no Hannibal.

Pictured above is a younger Hannibal Lecter, played by Gaspard Ulliel (courtesy of IMDB), in the prequel to Red Dragon Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal - Hannibal Rising.
I'd grown to love the man eating Lecter after the three movies that are based on Thomas Harris' novels.
I suppose it is unfair to compare Anthony Hopkins, who plays Hannibal in the other three movies, to Ulliel's performance in this last movie.
Hopkins is a brilliant performer and portrayed this cannibalistic doctor as a classy man eater. Whereas I felt Ulliel's portrayal of a younger Lecter was just too raw for my liking.
But it is understandable, after all he does player a younger Lecter.

The story tells of how Lecter grew in to this cannibalistic character and I found it rather predictable really. War, parents killed, left to look after himself and his sisters, enter looters and when there's nothing to eat...

The story of Hannibal Lecter got better and more gripping with each movie. Until this movie. would have rather been a great starting point. Release this movie first and then the rest...

Three spoons.

5 comments:

Beenz said...

Prequels are crazy! Who wants to read the first chapter when you already know the ending? I never could understand the point of a prequel other than to make money out of an existing success 'story'.

Brokensword said...

Ii have it out tonight and I will let you know what I think. suffice it to say, I agree with Beenz. I mean, Star war, which I neber really got into.

i heard Tom London talking on his show the other day and he said that he was proud that he had not seen any of the star ,wars movies. I suppose that is an interesting conversation? To say that you will never watch any of that franchise is a great statement. One wants to know more. I think I have a crush on Tom London. He just sounds like an interesting guy to chat to. Tom, look me up.

Anyway, I read the books exept this last one, is there a book on the latest Hannibal Lecter?

They were such nice, cheap, satisfying thrills that one just want thinks of being a cannibal, eating human flesh is just kewl.

Will let you know later tonight or tomorrow, what I feel (not think, never think) about the movie.

Brokensword said...

Lets play a game before I watch the movie. Who do you think Should have played the young Lecter?

I vote Edward Norton. Second choice, that kid on Everwood, he scares me.

Beenz said...

Edward Norton, yeah! He can go from a geeky priest to a buffed racist. Such ease of transition is scary in itsself!

Good question though...hmmm ....wait ...that irish guy - Rheese Jones? (Does a quick IMDB search...)Jonathan Rhys Meyers! He has freaky eyes.

Brokensword said...

Saw it yesterday and not too bad. But I agree with you sis. This is a movie on its own. It has nothing to do with Hannibal Lecter. Who can even start to explain how he became what he became. if you even try, it just is not enough. We should just enjoy the old man that he is.