Sunday 26 August 2007

Transformers

I was duped into believing that this was an adult movie. I went to see it with a friend who is also swimming comfortably in her thirties and she enjoyed it so maybe it is just borderline.

The special effects are great although could not always see what machine was doing what to who, it was interesting to watch. It was also funny but I have to put it in context around the other movie I watched this weekend.

Hot Fuzz. British comedy which makes fun of buddy cop movies, special focus on Michael Bay and his Bad Boys. They used the shots from the Bad Boys scenes where they jump through the air shouting and shooting at the bad guys. The line, ‘this shit just got real’ was thrown around like a cheap prostitute. It was funny and replicated some of the Michael Bay typical stunts and dialogue very funnily!

Now, having watched this movie on Friday night, it had some effect on my enjoyment of the Transformers, which I did enjoy but could pick up those typical Michael shots, the slow motion shot when Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are running along the street and fall and get up and looking all sweaty and manly etc. I saw those in Transformers and laughed out loud.

I suppose I had a problem with the clear cut good guys vs bad guys, or good robot vs bad robot of it all. Like War of the Worlds (and I mention this because Spielberg produced this movie as well, the whole reason why I wanted to see it), it seemed like the aliens were just too strong and could not be beaten. But somehow they are and you do not totally understand how.

Another problem I had with this movie was that it came across as a huge multi million dollar adverting campaign for American cars and global companies. You could not sit through a scene without some company being given a hands-up, (Deloittes, City Group, and like General Motors etc).

All in all, your children will love this movie, maybe you will love watching them watch it.

Two spoons

2 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

I always wondered why the heck you wanted to see TRansformers. It just seemed mediocre to me nje...but I guess Spielberg is a big enough name to want to just 'see for yourself'.

Charlie said...

I enjoyed Transformers for the special effects, plus I used to watch the cartoon when I was a kid and wanted to relive a bit of my childhood....

But now i am dying to see Hot Fuzz! Sounds hilarious ; ) LMAO "this shit is getting real"