Tuesday 2 June 2009

The Secret Life of Bees

I had my fingers on the keyboard for a while wondering what to say about this movie.
I guess it is one of those that get you all upset because you just can't understand how things could have been that way. How it could have been allowed. It just boggles my mind really.
There's a part where the old white man character says, "is she one of them dumb niggers or is she a clever nigger." When Jennifer Hudson's character answers back she gets a back slap right across her face. When she continues to defy this white man, she gets a couple of kicks and a couple of fists wacked on her face.
It is infuriating.
We've come a long way but for me that history, that it exists at all infuriates me. How could that time have existed at all?

I loved Sophie Okonedo in this. Her character is just the way I feel some times. Just so very sad and disappointed with the world that some of the things that happen, happen. So many injustices, all of it can be so overwhelming sometimes that you kind of feel like you want to leave this world. I loved her character.
I loved everybody in this movie. Alicia Keys can act, she was spectacular I thought...atleast for a musician. And Dakota Fanning is so grown in this movie.
Two and a half spoons

1 comment:

Brokensword said...

It sounds a little like the colour purple? Remember Oprah's character? is she equivalent to Jeniffer's character? No, it is unfair to make the comparison. Will make a point to watch it when I am back in CT. I absolutely LOVE Sophie. She is one of the most gorgeous and great actors at the moment. I don't remember her last movie but I know she was crying. She has such a dramatic face.