Saturday 30 May 2009

Nazi Movie



I am always reluctant to watch war movies especially Nazi movies. Specifically though, Nazi movies from the Nazi perspective. Somehow I am just not interested in their experience, their thought processes, the reasons why Hitler triumphed in that time. To me (and I do realise that, put in the same position I don’t know if I could pass the test but think my humanity should always be my guide) these movies want us to consider some of the other dynamics that were taking place when crimes against humanity were being committed. I don’t want to know, if knowing urges me to forgive a little. If anything I think the focus should remain on the horribleness of the era and recognise each and every situation (that would make us bigots or racist) for what it is and rage against it.

I’ve seen Valkyrie and the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and I think, it is not enough. Hitler still happened. These movies seem a little distasteful to me.

I suppose the same can be applied to the whole Rwanda tragedy. Shooting Dogs and Hotel Rwanda. There aren’t much films that focus on Rwanda and I think there still needs to be more if anything to educate. No one disputes the WW2 and the Jewish genocide that took place. Everyone knows about the concentration camps and the other atrocities that took place. Not enough stories have been told however about the atrocities that took place on our continent and that, in itself, is a continuing crime against humanity.

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas and Valkyrie are out on DVD.

1 comment:

Heartwarmer said...

I love how you don't even rate them. I hate Nazi movies, I just feel like its over kill and watching such makes me mad. Watching the Secret Life of the Bees made me mad too for similar reason.
I walked past the valkyrie? movie last night, didn't give it another look. Didn't pick it up, never read the reviews - I'm just not interested.