Friday 8 May 2009

Star Trek









The cast:
James T. Kirk - Chris Pine (did not know him before this but he’ll do)
Spock - Zachary Quinto (Sila in Heroes, his wooden acting is perfect for this role)
Spock - Leonard Nimoy (Naturally!)
Nero - Eric Bana (The hulk was goooodddd)
Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy - Karl Urban (also don’t know him but he was brilliant)
Nyota - Uhura Zoe Saldana (chick in one of those teen dancing movies, she is sexy enough to live up to Uhura’s legendary sexiness)
Scotty - Simon Pegg (Genius!!!)
Hikaru Sulu - John Cho (also genius)
Pavel Chekov - Anton Yelchin (don’t remember this character well but the kid was good)
Amanda Grayson - Winona Ryder (She plays Spock’s mom, is she that old?)
Tyler Perry also has a small role in the movie!

I was always more into the Star Trek The Next Generation (TNG) rather than the original Star Trek. I suppose being born at the time that I was, it was only natural that I connected more with the series that was current at the time that I was growing up. But with this new installment, I am now able to buy into the original.

More than that though, when I compare the two, I always found that TNG always seemed to be more cerebral, more philosophical than the original which was more brawn. The villain of TNG always posed a more terrifying threat. You were not just going to get physically hurt when you took them on, there were far reaching consequences, like getting assimilated. When the enemy tells you that resistance is futile, where do you go to with that? And those episodes with Species xxx (forgot the number), resistance is futile, they could assimilate you and change the history of human kind.

So yes, Star Trek has gone young and I think they seem to be wooing the generation I love to loath, those teenyboppers who let there be 100 scream movies, final destinations and Saws etc. But they luckily caught me in the net along with them (I think I was never young, I was born old and sometimes resent the young for some of the shenanigans they get up to that I never did).

It is a very solid cast with a semi solid story (I still don’t understand how old Spock and young Spock can meet. How can they both occupy the same time and space???). the special effects are great but it is not the focus of the movie. The set is so much brighter than the original set. I suppose the original set could not have huge amounts of light because the technology to make you buy into it being a space ship was just not there. There is far less orange in this new movie and everything and everyone is lit perfectly. I dig that.

So the movie basically tells how the relationships began and it is believable. Here is a spoiler, pointy ears is boinking the comms expert. How sexy is that? Although I did not pick up on the chemistry in the TV series, not that I watched it religiously, the link is totally justified. TNG always had inter-co-worker-relationships, why can’t the original season?

Star Trek gets 4 spoons. It loses one because of this April fool’s joke: Check it out: http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2009/4/startrekgoesgay. And I believed it, how stupid am I?

3 comments:

Brokensword said...

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and 'Ensign Gomez' beam down to a planet. Which one isn't coming back?

I am laughing out loud right now! They actually used this particular fact of Star Trek reality!!!

Heartwarmer said...

Definitely want to see this. Want to rent out all the old ones as well.
Who's Ensign Gomez?

Brokensword said...

That is the question that you never need an answer to! It could be 'ensign Heartwarmer'. The point is, that ensign ain't coming back.