Saturday 3 March 2007

John Pearlman

So what the hell is all the fuss about.

I woke up on 2 March 2007 at about 07h30 to John Pearlman's last show on SAFM. I got hooked. Because it was his last show he had there were all kinds of people calling in and wishing well and begging him to stay and all and all. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the man I am just amazed at all the attention he is getting. For goodness sakes the man even got a full page add in the Mail & Guardian!!!1. What the hell is that about?

I am a talk radio freak and listen to all the crap that is out there because, well... eish... I don't know.

I am one of those people who was forced to listen to SAFM because I am ridding in the car with the folks and that is what they listen to. I grew up and I, by choice, listen to SAFM because there was just nothing else out there for me. Lucky my commute is only about 10 minutes.

But is he not just like any other presenters? I listened to his last show and even Trevor Manuel had some parting words for good ole John. What the f....

During his last show he played some of his most memorable interviews and one of them was when he interviewed the guy that had just climbed Everest. yeahey... Wooohooo.

When it comes to radio I am a SLUT! I switch and change and look for the most interesting thing that is happening in the morning. Now because 567 is still trying to find its balance between black, white and coloured, most of the time I tend to be listening to SAFM.

He was good but gees, full page ad? I suppose because he spoke up against the SABC and all and all. He also had that TV show that was not approved by the snukis etc and that whole fiasco? You remember? I suppose the M&G thought it would be a nice gesture to ask a few people to contribute to a full page ad to say what's up to somebody they edify with in terms of number of law suites.

The AM Live show to me was a formula show and there was, nothing spectacular about it. Get a few, news stories, together and decided on the one that you will talk about more.

More often than not, the presenters of these shows know absolutely jack about what they interview a person about. It is all about winging it and making it look like you know what you are talking about! Kudos to the research people and the producers for getting their presenters up top speed!

God help me I am going to be crucified.

John Pearlman is good, but I suppose poor Jeremy Maggs has got some inflated shoes to fill. Go Jeremy. We look forward to engaging with you on all the pertinent issues affecting the state of our country. Salute!

boohooo, John is going, look forwarc to hearing him on 702 or 567 or Metro etc etc...My prediction? I think he loves talk shows and he might resurface on %^&!!! hah hah.

Let my lynching begin!!!

2 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

CHICK! C'mon, what do you mean what's all the fuss about?
JP was like the king of talk radio...in my opinion.
I have tried to listen to 702 peops, other SAFM peops - nobody comes close to JP.
Look, not all his shows were good, but a lot of his shows were bloody good.
(shit, the soco is kicking in...I'm starting to sweat)
It has a lot to do with how he spoke to people, the way he did his interviews - he would challenge you without being rude or launching an attack. His tone, he just made you feel all warm all over - some journo said he gives you hope. I agree.
Radio like TV is the pits - but JP made it worthwhile for atleast 3hours a day. That's magic man.

I do hope he resurfaces, mind you I think Jeremy isn't too bad either. So I'm looking forward to that aswell.

As for the fuss, the fuss is largely because of the SABC debacle, you know the story. Dali Mpofu is a wuss (is that how you spell that). Snuki's got everybody by the nickers for reals - he's been criticised so many times (I suppose his background as spokesperson for the department of labour means he knows all the right people) and he's still got his job. Remember the other SABC spokesperson that got canned because he said something he wasn't meant to - eish can't remembr what.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.