Monday 12 March 2007

A mad black woman

I just happened to watch the Diary of a mad black woman again last night on DVD.

There are so many moments in that movie...made me angry, infuriated me, had me throwing glasses at the television screen, made me sad, made me smile, made me cheer/whistle/bounce on the couch, made me smile...

The first big moment was after his awards ceremony. That night...she accompanies him to his big night - and behaves like the perfect wife, and he like the perfect gentleman. And then he drives her back home. She wants to celebrate with him. She says, tell me what to do, I'll do anything. And he tells her to get the fuck out of his car.

Next big moment. She takes him lunch at work. Any normal person would have thought, how sweet. As she heads towards his office, he's coming towards him with 'the other woman' and their baby boy. Doesn't even try to make up a story or anything, just takes his lunch and walks back to his office.

THE BEEEEEEEEEG moment. This made me both angry and sad. It's their anniversary day. And he decides he's going to kick her out of the house. She gets home and finds that all her stuff 's been packed and ready to go via removal truck. Her wardrobe's been replaced with new outfits. And she thinks he's surprised her with a new wardrobe. Turns out, the new clothes are for the new 'wife'. She's moving in now.
When she refuses to leave. He literally drags her out the house. Kicking and screaming. Pulls her by the hair even...such a low moment.

Argh there are lots of moment.
My favourite though, is when she gets him back.
He gets shot, and is paralysed from the shoulders down or there about. He can't move, can't feed himself, can'd do a thing but talk. His friends have abandoned him, so his old wife decides she'll nurse him back to health (go figure). But he doesn't appreciate this at all. Starts talking shit to her again.
She gives him a nice big klap on the face. WHAH! SHUT UP she says. Then she decides to lave him his wheel chair for a couple of days. No food, no bath, no toilet...there's a scene where she's eating in front of him and he starts to cry cause he's that hungry...shame (don't mess with woman doggie).

The movie is obviously over done. But it's fun.
Karma is a...

2 comments:

Brokensword said...

The only good thing about that movie was Madia, she was funny. Gotta love Tyler Perry. Is he the next Eddie Murphy? Although I am sure is is already far more successful than eddie.

BUT, I really do not enjoy these waiting to exhale type movies!!! Exhale already! you don't need to wait for bad relationship to end to take a breath. For fuck's sake! And they make these movies so clear cut and dry that you think, there is no ways a woman can be that stupid and giving and good and vindictive and eventually finding the balance where upon she is able to... exhale. Stupid bullshit!

Anonymous said...

Not your favourite I see. Nowhere close.

There are movies you like cause they are good, and movies you like cause they are fun...
I hear you on Tyler Perry - wish I could have seen his plays.

I thought that The Practice dude was very bady. BARD acting.

You know how black movies do brokensword. So there are no surprises here as far as what you expect. I just thought it was fun. Tomatoe, tomato.