Sunday 1 April 2007

300

So the Oscar fever is gone and it is time to get back to normal cinema. Time to get back to choosing to watch a movie because the preview was just so dammed enticing.

A simple story really. Wikipedia says: ‘Spartan King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fight to the last man against Persian King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) and his army of more than one million soldiers, while in Sparta, Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) attempts to rally support for her husband.’ So that is the story. That is it, klaar, kaput. Simple, uncomplicated, no twists and turns or clever story lines.

I had to go see this movie. It was for me like seeing the preview to the Matrix or Lord of the Rings and thinking damn, I have to see this movie. gave And before I saw it, Barry Ronge gave it the thumbs up (I think) and Adam Swindler (sp) gave it the thumbs down. I had to determine for myself. I have determined that it is what it is and it is good.

I especially love the slow mo they do in the fighting scenes. The whole feel of the movie reminded me a lot of the feel of Sin City. Although I enjoyed the plot of the movie and such but I especially enjoyed the dismembering and the portrayal of blood and strength and eyeballs. In Sin City, Mickey Rourke was my favourite character because he was border line between super strength and normal man that can bleed and feel pain. These are the Spartan Warriors. 300 of the Mickey Rourke character in Sin City.

See this one if only for the visual spectacle. It is amazing.

Three spoons

1 comment:

Heartwarmer said...

After what I thought was a bad trailer - I absolutely LURVED 300. It's a collector's type.