Friday 2 February 2007

Little Miss Sunshine

There are not a lot of good movies out there. In fact, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your gem and this is such a gem!

It is not about the people in it although Gregg Kennear, Toni Collett and Alan Arkin were fabulous. It is not about the cinematography or costumes or the score. It is about the feeling you are left with when you walk out of the cinema house and think… now that was not a wasted 2 hours of my life.

Little Miss Sunshine, although a little innocent and simple (I think this is some of the characteristics of a satire) in its portrayal of family dynamics is one of the best feel good movies I have ever seen. (satire – spoof, lampoon; this is more for me than the reader, just so that I remember what it means)

I am not a good story teller I just prefer sharing what I think about flicks, but!, there is this cute but not so pretty little girl that has entered a beauty pageant (EVIL) and she gets to go on to some of regional finals by default. The whole family has to go because of scheduling re arrangements and it therefore is this road movie. The family consists of Olive who is the beauty queen, the older son who has taken a vow of silence until he gets accepted to flying school, grandpa who snots coke, dad who is trying to make it in the self help-motivational speaking market and mom who is just mom who is just mom. OH, and how can I forget, the uncle who tried to kill himself because his lover went with his nemesis.

If you are looking for a nice feel good intelligent yet somehow flawed movie then go see this one if you can. The Labia is still showing it but not sure which other cinemas are.

7 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

This is what I'm talking about. Fuck Blood Diamonds, the Queen (which I haven't seen), the departerd and all those supposed good movies.
This is the actual good movie. Nothing you've seen before.
Like the scissors movie, it is different, classic, funny - just a great story...and may I say again - nothing you've seen before. I loved that little girl. I thought that last bit was so classic man. Ah...we all wanted to be beauty queens - but not all of us are. And fuck beauty pageants anyhow. I loved this movie.

Brokensword said...

Do you think that the grandfather knew what he was doing when he tought Olive that dance routine and the song!? I suppose he did. That's the whole point isn't? I thought it was strange for grandpa to be so involved with a beauty pageant. But it was his way of saying fucking arround with the beauty pageant industry?

Heartwarmer said...

I thought about that. And I thought he was probably just mad. Cause he must have thought about potentially damaging his grandkid's self confidence for life. No?
But he wasn't that mad was he. He must have known what he was doing.

Heartwarmer said...

Oh, that uncle who tried to commit suicide - where have I seen him before. I swear he's acted in some strange movie/tv program or something. I remember that black face that he had in the move as well.

Brokensword said...

He was the 40 year old virgin and he is in the american version of the Office.

Nhlanhla said...

American Version of "The Office" you mean? It's out in March isn't it?

Don't mean to take you back (but I will): don't you think that the silent 'Older Brother' was more interesting as a mute? I don't know what was more excruciating, finding out that he couldn't make the Air force - or that he was colour blind!

Brokensword said...

He definately was more interesting as a mute. It is a skill to be able to cut through the bullshit and just express yourself in a few lines. No stupid conversations and small talk. Get to the point, klaar.