Tuesday 16 January 2007

The Departed, part deux

I hate to say it but as big as Leonardo DiCaprio is, and as well loved by those dealing with their pubescent stage in life, he is one m-f'ing great actor.

I recently wrote that it did not get any better than this with the all star cast of The Departed and evidently, it does not, having now seen the movie.

Now I am not really into the cop/mobster movies, especially the ones with Al Pacino! So Al Pacino is not in this one, yeahey! I am sure it could have easily gone the other way, cast him instead of Jack Nicholson! Thank goodness for me they went with good ole Jack. Now I would not have imagined, Thee Joker, as a mobster but apparently Jack Nicholson has other talents that are not restricted to comedy (As Good As It Gets) or comic strip character (previously mentioned, Thee Joker!) or insane people (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). We know that he can be scary but as a mob boss??? He almost made me shit my bloomers.

Now this is, as they say, a tour de force of a movie. I suppose Martin Scorsese had something to do with that. So kudos for the movie and everyone in it, except for Matt Damon maybe. Hhhmmm. Not sure about him. Now I am not very well schooled in the different decrepit accents of the various American cities, but whatever Damon was trying to do with his accent, I just did not get it. Is he a good one though? His characters in the Oceans movies and Good Will Hunting really did not require much of him and now that I get to see him in a role where he could easily show his thespian abilities, I did not see it. Matt, you should do a nice gay movie so that I can get any respect for you. Leo did it. You should too. And Stuck On uou does not count bra!

Back to Leonardo, oh Leonardo, I first fell for you in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and you had me with that infectious laugh and twisted finger thing you did to portray the mentally challenged. He is an incredible actor and if that takes me down a notch in the serious film watching club then so be it. He is great and no one can convince me otherwise. It was also very interesting to see him as a regular guy you know? How many present day type movies has he done? I really could not think of a film of his where he is in present day and sane and wears low cut jeans to show off his oh so sexy (however, not six pack) tummy. I remember Celebrity but that was a Woody Allan (I think) artsy Fartsy flick. I did not see the Beach. I remember him in Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can and Aviator. Incredible performances!

Now the movie itself, the Departed is really your usual Gangster Movie. ‘Sleepers’ kept coming up in my mind as I was watching it and that was also a good m-f'ing movie wasn’t it? One colleague of mind told me how violent it was before I saw it but this is justified. It is no Passion of the Christ in its depiction of violence but you gotta love the scene where Leo punches Matt Damon when they finally get together on a roof. That I have not seen before and it was hectic. Showing the vibrations of a punch (several) was awesome!

The departed is your usual gangster movie with your Shakespearian ending where everybody dies (so to ruin the ending but hey) and good triumphs over evil. And good has never looked this pretty.

Go see this one; it will blow you away, literally!

Brokensword

3 comments:

Heartwarmer said...

Man, I need to see this. Wasn't going ot see it, but if you say its good then it must be good.
Tuesday it is - half price day.

Heartwarmer said...

Okay, so I saw it last night.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...It was fun to watch but I wasn't blown away...
I think these days what blows me away is the freshness of a story.
I just feel like I've seen this movie before.
Yes the direction, the acting everything was perfectly made. Burrt...

sunshine said...

Okkkay, i'm a bit late...

watched this lastnite...it was flippin hilarious..

I think had the movie not carried on for soo long it couldn't have been really great mara it just went on and some things like were not necessary...
*like the romance with the physchologist, like for what??*
and then what did she do with that information....

but i enjoyed watching it none the less...
ya Matt Damon...aki'sure...