Sunday 21 January 2007

Sunday

So I woke up today, late. I always wake up to the sound of the radio and today it was Jeremy Maggs on a Sunday morning, preceded by the weekend AM Live on SAFM. Did not really want to get out of bed so I grabbed the Film Finesse I had picked up when I went to go see Running With Scissors and went through that. Also went through the Saturday Argus which is a waste of valuable time. The only section I read is the Personal Finance as it is my job to keep up with what journalists think about the financial industry.

Today on this Sunday 21 January (THE LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR!), it is 33 degrees in Cape Town and there is no way I will venture out into the sun for more than an hour. I have The Grooms Men to take back to the video store (Edward Burns has never really regained the glory of the Brothers McMullen) and need batteries for my TV remote control so unfortunately, I have to leave the flat.

Whilst going through the Film Finesse I find out that there is a movie possibly worth watching. The guy that did Finding Never Land had also done Stay and I have not seen that yet. At this point in my leave from work there is not that much I have not seen! So it is either read or rent out a TV series (what is the M-F-ing plural of series?). So I ventured out into the 33 degree heat of Cape Town and get this hopeful, possibly engaging movie, I have not had that in a while! So Stay it is.

But I went to the video store with the intent of getting Grey’s Anatomy, the last few episodes (as I am really not interested in seeing what happens in between, just want to know what the fuss was about in the second season finale aired recently on Mnet). But guess what, the final episode is the only episode on the DVD! I can not have that. Now, I am a very good customer ( prostituting myself between the two rival video stores in Greenpoint), they should be able to let me have the finale for free if I take out the previous three or four episodes on my last unit of my contract! Yes? No! The video shop clerk did not have the power, the power I hold over the owner of the shop when he is around and he gives me movies for free! Damb it!

So the clerk tells me, why not pay R30 and I can get two new movies and one old and keep them for 2 days! Now, I am already starting to sweat and I feel the sweat come down my not so perky breasts and I give in, It is just too hot to ague!. So I come out with the last 2 discs of Grey’s Anatomy and Stay. Next, the walk to the market to get my cheap AA batteries so that I do not have to get up every 2 minutes to change the channel 9in this overbearing heat!). (PS there is really no point to this story, just want to share my Sunday afternoon.)

To cut the story short (there really isn’t any interesting thing that happened in between) I watched Stay and it was not all that bad.

DVD’s and commentaries on DVD’s are very important. I was watching this movie and trying to figure out the what hell the story is and I just could not get it. Lucky for me there are commentaries and they can tell me what to think, blow for blow, scene for scene. Having watched the commentaries I would really recommend this movie.

Although, watching it, I could not help but think of Bruce Willis and Hayley Joel Osment. And it was something like that. Would not want to reveal the twist but if you are down and out and looking for something almost worth watching this is it. But you have to watch the commentary, and not the true life stories of near death experiences. Have these people not heard about how the powerful the mind is? There are no near death experiences, all there is, is the brain and the more fertile it is, the freakier your near death experience is. The dark tunnel and with light at the end is just boring now! Let’s have something more interesting like STAY!!!!!

My Sunday afternoon flowed into my most favourite series. West Wing. Who does not love this? As a communications practitioner (that almost sounded like a real profession) I luuuurrrrvvvvv the West Wing. I always dream that I would be the future advisor for Thabo Mbeki and we would have morning meetings at the Union Buildings and figure out what to do about Zimbabwe etc.

Nice to dream. So, I am back at my flat, which is cool and quite and a good sanctuary. There is no way I am getting out again today! It is just way too hot. So will watch the X Men, shove in Grey’s Anatomy and have a relaxing Sunday afternoon/ Evening.

By the way, did anyone get to see the comet?

Brokensword

1 comment:

sunshine said...

hee hee...

reading this makes me think of that 'sunday morning' song by maroon 5...i love it!!!