Saturday 20 January 2007

How soon is too soon?

9/11 movies

I have so far seen two 9/11 movies, United 93 and World Trade Centre. I am sure there are more out there. I am just wondering, is it too soon? Movies are suppose to provide some entertainment value and I suppose some have educational value in them but who does not know what happened that day? The event was caught, blow by blow on all the news channels. I remember I had a day off from the restaurant that I was waitressing at and was watching the whole event unfold on CNN. There was no way of escaping it. Do we really need movies to dramatise this when the media showed all the possible angles there was to see of the event?

World Trade Centre took it from the view of the rescuers that went to the towers. United 93 from air traffic control and United Airline 93 that did not hit its target. Both were done well with sensitivity. But who does not know that this was unexpected and horrible and tragic. Do we need movies to tell us how the people that were involved felt? For me I find it cheap. Trading what was experienced for what Hollywood thinks we should feel about it. Packaged with the correct emotions, timelines and endings. I am sure for those directly involved, there probably is no ending there is a different outcome every time they dream about it or think about what they could have done differently.

The most interesting part in the United 93 DVD was is the bonus features where the real life relatives of the victims get to meet the actors that played their husbands, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers. Saying how much the actors looked like their deceased relatives etc. I suppose what was important was that they did not want the memory of their loved ones to fade and that was the main reason they agreed to share their memories. Those private memories would be sacrificed so that the world would not forget.

Too soon? I think so.

Brokensword

No comments: